Wednesday, October 22, 2008

trial and error

There is so much to learn in the world of photography, and I sometimes feel like kicking myself for not doing so while I was still pregnant, and had all the time in the world. I was intimidated by it then, the only reason I even got away from shooting in the basic modes was because Zach pushed me to. But all the other settings? Seemed like it was all way over my head. Ah well, that's a lesson learned. These days it's easy to go weeks without taking any time to try to learn anything new, so I've added a couple photography blogs to my google reader and am forcing myself to actually read the updates, so if nothing else I can be sure to spend just 5 minutes a day exposed to new information and inspiration.

One thing I loved about this house when we first saw it is how bright it is. The living room has so many windows, one whole wall with light streaming right in. I was taking pictures of D earlier today and was thrilled to realize that I could set my ISO down to 200 and still have a fast enough shutter speed. Awesome. =)

The other day as D was eating breakfast I started taking a few photos, of him and of other random parts of our new home. And then, I even went and edited a few of them with Gimp. Looking at them now I might have overdone them a bit, but I still kinda like the effect. It's all trial and error, isn't it?

breakfast
breakfast
kitchen
kitchen
the view from down here

5 comments:

  1. neat-o sites, i love DPS. also try photodoto, although it's less of an instructional site these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they're overdone at all. I think they're lovely.

    ps- thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are so beautiful and I agree that you have the right motive on learning. I've learned a lot from one website more than many. Lately since I haven't photographed, I've found I've forgotten how to use some of my settings - ouch! I guess I really need to get out and practice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fellow nestie here...been following you blog forever and love it. I hear you re: the photo stuff. I'm trying to get away from point and shoot and into some of the other settings to expand my skills as well. Love your photos. Can you recommend sites that show photos and then explain how they were taken/processed? Sometimes I can't figure out what was done to a photo to make it look so darn good!

    Thanks!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really like the picture of the burned pan.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...