- Good books. D and I finished listening to HP & The Prisoner of Azkaban a few days ago. We've been playing it in the car, but for the last chapters I had us bring the discs inside and listen to them in bigger blocks of time because there is just SO MUCH that happens ALL AT ONCE. I hope I didn't scare him too much when I started tearing up a time or two (that moment when Harry realizes it was his own patronus that saved him from the dementors? *sob*). As soon as the book ended, D was asking about when we could start book 4. Listening to them again I am reminded of just how amazing these stories are, and it's even better sharing them with my kiddo.
- Lil Pippin keeps amazing me, like how he doesn't seem to mind and may even like it when Q pets him, rubbing his fur backwards, and even flipping his ears. This is one chill bunny, the cats have never been that tolerant.
- I've been feeling particularly uninspired when it comes to food and cooking lately (erm, lots of cheese quesadillas and dinner/snacks around here lately...). So it's awesome to have a long weekend, to have Zach home and whip up things like pork loin for dinner.
- Quinn has been falling asleep on our bed lately, mainly because he's becoming more chatty at bedtime and he keeps Donovan up otherwise. I later go in and transfer Quinn back to his own bed, and that moment where I pick him up and he instinctively, half-asleep curls up and holds me tight, and just looks so sweet and calm and adorable? My heart melts, every time.
- This morning D went across the street to play at his new buddy's house-- by himself, without Q or me tagging along. He was so incredibly excited. He still misses Sachem and Ethan so much, this was like a little piece of that in a new way.
Sunday, May 24, 2015
Thursday, May 14, 2015
- WE GOT A BUNNY. I've had cats all my life and only limited experience with dogs, rabbits are totally foreign to me so this whole experience is fun and weird and fascinating. So far our little guy has been pretty awesome, he's pretty active but also loves just sitting and getting petted.
- In what I assume is a reaction to the new furball in our home, Sierra has been much more attentive and sweet with me the past few days. She's even come and sat on my lap many times. I'll take it.
- The past couple of weeks have suddenly been really busy for us. It's good sometimes, but I"m not super fond of that feeling of needing to rush around to this and that. Yesterday and today we ended up skipping out on a couple things and it was nice to just chill out at home together instead.
- Quinn and I spent part of that "chill out" time at home today snuggled on the couch watching The Gruffalo films. Which are really quite adorable. And it was nice to get some cuddle time with Q, as he has otherwise been a bit explosive with me lately.
- We're listening to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban audiobook in the car. It's pretty awesome hearing your kid get all worked up about how terrible characters like Snape and Black are, knowing what is to come. (though in fairness Snape is still pretty awful through most of the books).
Saturday, May 09, 2015
I finished a new post on exposure.co, from last weekend's walk through a local garden. Zach took the boys into the city this morning so I've got some time all by myself at home, a lovely treat. So I took the opportunity to finish these photos and post them, unencumbered by interruptions by little hands pulling at my arm asking for another snack or to hear their latest story. Instead I was accompanied only by my coffee mug and my favorite music playing.
I suppose photographing flowers is cliche, but it's a cliche for a reason. Last weekend when I was feeling drained, walking through an empty garden taking pictures of flowers that couldn't move or talk back or yell at me for trying to take their picture was perfect. And in some ways making beautiful pictures of flowers almost feels like cheating-- I don't feel like I'm really creating anything myself, so much as capturing something that is already beautiful and adding a little something to it. But there is something so satisfying about capturing these pictures. There is something about the shapes and colors, the soft abstractness of the blurred-out background, the contrast between that beautiful bokeh and the sharp subject. That's really what I love most about photography, I think-- that feeling when I look at a finished photo and find it beautiful and my heart just feels happy.
Thursday, May 07, 2015
I'm about halfway through editing the pictures I took at Gamble Garden last weekend. I will post a whole set over on exposure once the rest are done, but I wanted to share this handful of favorites because I just love them. The colors and that bokeh, just... swoon.
Tuesday, May 05, 2015
I feel like I've been down and negative and complainy a lot lately, so why not try to resurrect a little gratitude practice as a way to turn the attitude around, right? So here are 5 things for which I am grateful.
- I've got a personal goal of building up a list of good go-to places for when I need a photography fix, and on Saturday I found a new one-- Gamble Garden in Palo Alto. It's free and open as soon as daylight hits (many other gardens I found online didn't open till 10 or 11am, after all that golden early-morning light amazingness is gone). I spent close to two hours walking around taking photos of the various flowers and leaves. As a note, I think a photowalk should count as exercise, especially with all the squatting that goes into getting low-perspective shots.
- After the garden I found a cafe nearby and had the most delicious nutella and banana crepe I've had in a good long while. It was heavenly.
- I'm re-building the website for a group I'm in, and the whole thing has felt a bit stressful and overwhelming but also kinda fun and cool, and it feels good to know I can figure this stuff out when I want to and put the time into it.
- It feels like D is right on that threshold to learning how to swim like for real, and it's really fun and exciting to watch the process unfold.
- Audiobooks from the library have been a big win lately. I've never quite gotten into audiobooks before, but we're having fun listening to kids books in the car on our longer drives. Yesterday we got through two Magic Treehouse books.