Friday, February 16, 2024

and then I randomly brought home a new cat

 So we have a new kitty, her name is Maya and she's goooorrgeeeoussssssssss. 



I've had the equivalent of baby fever but for getting a cat, for months. Fairly intensely. Part of it has been legitimately missing having a multi-cat household. It's been over two years since Sierra passed away, and then we got our dog Cocoa and he took up a lot of time/space/attention. But he's now almost 2 years old, and I've really missed the feline energy (especially since Nev tends to be more aloof these days anyway). 

(Also, I think I really wanted more cuddly animal comfort and entertainment during the hard months of chemo)

I at least knew better than to bring home a new animal while in the actual middle of chemo. So what did I do instead? I waited till I was just barely over a month past my mastectomy, and a few days after my mom (and all her assistance) had flown back home again, to bring home this little darling. What can I say, I saw her photo on a rehoming group on facebook and couldn't quite help myself. In my defense I think when you've had cancer you're maybe allowed some irrational impulse decisions. 

In my dreamy-eyed state I had very optimistic expectations for how easily she would adjust to life in her new household. She had been calm, confident, and very outgoing when I met her in her previous home, I figured she'd enjoy the novelty and more playmates here. I set up a room for her to be in separate from the rest of the house, brought her home, let her out of her carrier, and watched her promptly slink under the dresser. That much was expected. 

What I hadn't anticipated, was her proceeding to spend 95% of her entire first week hiding out under that dresser or in the closet. As the days dragged on and she continued to seem to nervous, I started to worry. She was warming up to me, but ran and hid if she even heard anyone else. Was she too stressed out in our household? Was I doing enough to help her adjust? Meanwhile, I was also adjusting to getting back into "normal" life. With my mom returning back home, I picked back up on a lot of the household tasks and responsibilities she'd shouldered during my recovery. In some ways I've been very glad to return to a more normal routine and be able to do the things. But also, it's been... a little overwhelming, and exhausting. I had read so many others talk about this aspect of cancer recovery, and was still somehow surprised by being faced with it. And I'd chosen to add on to it the complex task of helping a scared kitty adjust to a house with more people and animals than she'd been used to for her previous 4 years of living. 

I started to wonder if maybe I had rushed things and made a mistake. And yet, I felt like she kinda belonged here. The other day I walked into her room, and she immediately ran out to greet me and ask for pets. That melted my heart into a neat little puddle. She has since turned a corner, seeming much more comfortable and brave. She likes me a lot and has even curled up in my lap several times. She no longer runs and hides at the first sight or sound of any other members of my household. She's even had a few encounters with Cocoa (separated by a gate) where she kinda hisses at him but stands her ground and doesn't run off to hide (Cocoa, meanwhile, stands still, his tail wagging at 60mph, really, really wanting to play with this new friend but he knows, through his experiences with Nev, to give her some space). 

Nev seems unbothered and only mildly curious about this new inhabitant. I'm in no rush, wanting to give everyone plenty of time to get used to each other. Maya is still mostly confined to her separate room, and we'll slowly start letting her venture out more and have more interactions with Nev and Cocoa. I think she will be a sweet and fun addition to our household dynamics once she's used to everyone and everything. I'm looking forward to that. 



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:57 PM

    Aww, she does look so very sweet as well as super pretty. I’m sad to hear it’s been hard getting back into more normal life, yet that is hardly surprising. Not only is there all the stuff to contend with, but you have been fully depleted of energy and stamina. Out of condition, since walking more than into a doctor’s office or infusion center was something you hadn’t done for half a year . And then you’ve been worried about Maya. So glad she is turning a corner. Just know you probably need a little more rest as you continue to expend energy on all levels while trying to recoup former levels.💕💕

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...