Sunday, October 19, 2008

sleep, elusive sleep

As in, we're staying here (at the new place) tonight. There's still boxes and other randomness strew around the living room, but it looks several orders of magnitude better than it did 2 days ago. It helps a lot that we have lots of closets (CLOSETS! Imagine that!! Europe, can you take notes on this?) and we also have half a garage into which we can pile random stuff that we don't know what to do with quite yet. I'm sure it will all get sorted out soon. Definitely.

Comcast will be coming by tomorrow sometime to set up our internet (right now we're stealing a neighbor's... shhh don't tell anyone). They claim they'll be here between 12 and 2 but you know how that goes, they'll probably show up at 5pm. Donovan's been doing his Mr Sourpuss impression lately, he did this a few days before his 3rd tooth came through and so I think he's working on tooth #4. I hope we get a break after this. After a few nights of only waking up 2-3 times, he's now back to waking 4 times a night (that's about every 2 hours, btw), and frankly I'm amazed I'm not more of a zombie right now. I tell you, mommy hormones are incredible, they must be the equivalent of speed. Unfortunately not only is he waking lots, but his morning wake-up time has been moving up slowly-- he used to sleep till 7am, then it was 6:30, then 6, 5:45, and this morning he was threatening not to go back to sleep after waking at 4am. Um, kiddo, that's where I draw the line. I may be pulling out our sleep books again because I'm not sure how much longer I'm willing to let this go on (hah, as if I have much control). We bought a (cool-mist) humidifier today, wondering if it's his congested nose that's waking him up and hoping that perhaps a humidifier will help. I also gave him a dose of Motrin as he seemed to be in pretty active pain as he approached bedtime, but I don't know how much that's really helped in the past, either. This will also be the first night in a month that we won't all be sharing a bedroom, and maybe, just maybe, that will also help him sleep better? If anyone has other ideas I'd love to hear them. I'm not asking for him to sleep all through the night, I'd just sure love to get one nice 6 hour stretch every night.

Well, I'd better be off to bed, though I expect him to be waking up for his first feeding of the night anytime in the next hour. Oh god I think I hear him now.

3 comments:

  1. This won't help him sleep, but may help the new tooth break through.

    Frozen mini-bagels make perfect teething rings. I've used them successfully as a nanny on several occasions and highly recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely hate moving. We last did it when my daughter was 1 month old and it was a total nightmare.

    I feel your pain with feeding in night - really, I do. My daughter was up at 3am for the second time in a row and decided she wasn't tired. It took me 1 and a half hours to get her back to sleep both times. Praying it doesn't happen tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! Get out your sleep books. He's actually old enough to start working the techniques in them. Ryan was 14 months before I attempted to get her to sleep in her own bed all night.

    I'm almost positive it was harder than if she had been younger when I started. Laurie gave me my favorite - Dr Ferber, "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problem"

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...