Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Moms & Tea

I had a longish day in town today, but it was a good one. I first headed out to stop by a women's club in Geneva, planning to stop in, sign up for a membership, then pop back out to go to my yoga class at noon. Well, turns out the mothers-of-young-children group was meeting right when I got there, so they invited me to sit in with them which was really cool. Everyone was really nice, all the children seemed to be under 2yrs old (and pretty adorable) so many of them are new moms, and even met another mom who's pregnant and shares my due date. =) I'm excited to have some mommy/preggo friends who are local, whose brains I can pick about where to get stuff and how to handle this or that.

I had made plans to meet up with Jessica, Melanie, Hillary, and Sophia for lunch at 1:30 (after yoga) and wound up making it out of the women's club just in time to go make it on time for lunch. We tried out this tiny Chinese tea house that serves dim sum, and it was fabulous. The food was delicious, and they had about 100 different kinds of teas. I can't wait to go back and try it again.

After lunch I headed to the English library to donate some magazines, and check out a couple books (gotta make use of that membership fee!). On my way back to my bus stop I stopped by a couple small baby stores in town, to eye their selection of strollers and car seats (now that I have a bit better of an idea what I'm looking at). I have to say there's something quite disheartening about walking into one of these places and seeing every single car seat cost at least 250chf (about $200), when I know I could get a Graco Snug Ride (a pretty highly-rated car seat) in the US for less than half that price. I've been told that the European/Swiss car seats may have some additional safety features that the US versions lack, but that doesn't seem like it should justify a 100+% price increase. I also finally found a store that had some moses baskets for sale, but they were listed as 200chf (I've seen them listed for $60 in the US). The good news, is hopefully a car seat will be one of the few things we have to buy here for full price. Zach met a mom with 2 boys (2 and 4 yrs old) in his French class that's offered to sell us a bunch of her old baby gear, including some strollers she has and a bassinet/cradle/moses basket (Zach was unclear which of these it was by the description, but was told it's very cute, and for babies to sleep in that are under 3 months old-- perfect).

Oh, and my prenatal yoga DVD came in the mail today! I'm excited. Maybe I'll try it out tomorrow afternoon. =)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:53 AM

    You know, you're a lucky one to be living in Europe. I am quite jealous. Although I do live vicariously through your life - except for maybe the being pregnant thing. :0)

    It must already be cold enough for sweater weather there!

    I look forward to hearing more about Loki in the months to come!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...