Friday, May 23, 2008

Update

So we went, we waited, they asked lots of questions, D was surprisingly happy and calm the whole time, he had another poopy diaper with some blood in it (the poop also looked kinda green, mean anything?) while we were there, they took a sample and are running some tests, told us they'd get back to us with the results in about 3 days, then sent us home with instructions to come back if he develops weird symptoms or has another bloody poop. Which seems kinda odd since his last 2 poops have had blood, and I don't see any reason why the next one won't have some as well.

They also told us to have our pediatrician check him out sometime next week, so I'll be calling in the morning to try to set up that appointment.

My guess is he's either developed some sort of food allergy (dairy?) that he's getting through my milk, or his digestive system has just gotten all out of whack thanks to the antibiotics. I think I have some more googling to do, but I think I'm gonna cut dairy out and see how that goes. Unfortunately from what I've read that can sometimes take a good couple weeks before it makes a difference, but we'll see. I think the doctor there was leaning towards option #2, but didn't seem to have many answers.

At least they sent us back home again. I did not want to spend another night at that place.

3 comments:

  1. I was going to say Food allergy. My really good friend, Zoe, has two boys that have really bad allergies and that is how she found out.
    Better to have him Tested...
    POOR little guy! He wants to keep you busy and on your toes doesn't he!?!?
    I had a husband that travels (and still does) so I know all about the long weeks without hubby...and my kids always seem to have all the emergencies when he was away
    Best of luck
    keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:26 PM

    I hope he gets better... Maybe you should tell the nurses to be mean to him, that way he won't want to go back to the hospital so often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep your head up, see if maybe one of your friends or the neighbor can come let you have a nap. It is incredible what a good bit of sleep will do for a soul.

    Ryan had a tough time with the milk proteins so I cut dairy way back for a couple months. Also, beef I think has a similar effect - things that come from a cow I suppose. We loved mylecon drops by Gerber - tasty and very effective for gassy tummies. I still give tummy rubs for gas bubbles.

    She adjusted and doesn't have trouble now. Maybe he has a hernia from hard stools and the scraping is causing a little bleeding. If the hospital isn't jumping around to keep you then take that as a good sign.

    I always maxed out our deductible with ER visits really quickly. It seemed like we were there every couple months with a really high fever or throwing up for at least the first 3 years. Illness always happens at 5pm on Friday or 2am, forcing you to the ER.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...