Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Internet Gnome

Our internet connection is so... finicky. It's really strange. If we so much as touch or move the wireless router box-thingie, it'll stop working for, like, 20 to 30 minutes. Our internet is through DSL, so through the same line as our telephone, and we had the phone and internet hooked up together, when one day I decided to move the phone to the other side of the room, a more convenient location.

The internet started being extremely slow and not working well, then was fine the minute I moved the phone back.

Today, again, I moved the box back down b/c when Zach swept the other day he put it on this little table (where the phone is) and I went to put it on the floor again... the damned thing turned itself off and wouldn't turn on again. I finally jiggled the cables a while and it started working again.

I used to joke that my old computer had a gnome living inside it, and that was the only explanation for its erratic behavior (like how it consistently would not boot up for 30 minutes after I moved it, like from one side of the room to another when re-arranging furniture). I was so glad to have finally been rid of that gnome... only now it turns out he's been promoted to handling our internet connection.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:20 AM

    You might want to move the box to a higher location - our guy told me the wireless box want to be high up, so the floor may not be the best place for it. Then again, the guy took two hours to set up my internet, so what does he know?

    Can you call the company and ask them what the deal is? Or is this just the price of living out in the beautiful contry?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...