Thursday, April 17, 2008

Starbucks Baby

D and I had a fairly ambitious trip into town today. We took the bus in, D in his bassinet on the stroller, and soon after getting on the bus he started fussing... so I took him out and set him on my lap and he was calm the whole rest of the way in, just looking out the big windows. We went to the baby group at the women's club, where I got to show him off to many of the women I'd met while pregnant and hadn't seen him in person yet. He continued to be pretty calm and happy, even falling asleep on my lap. Then it was time to go meet the girls for a Starbucks coffee date. D was close to being due for a feeding so I tried to nurse before leaving but he didn't seem very interested... and then decided he was indeed very much hungry on the walk to Starbucks, spending the last 10-15 mins of the way crying, the poor thing. So we got there, and he ate, and was happy for a while until he started getting tired and I figured it was about time to be heading home. I don't think I'd even walked a block out of Starbucks and he was completely out, dead asleep, and stayed that way until we were just a few bus stops away from home. Amazingly, once we got in the door he stayed happy enough in the bassinet to let me eat a quick lunch before demanding my attention.

He's continued to be pretty happy this afternoon. We hung out in the moby wrap for a bit and he took a nap in that while I read from my copy of Under the Tuscan Sun that we bought last week at Les Recyclables, and currently he's sleeping in his sling (clutching one edge of the fabric with his hand as he does so). =) It started raining just as we got home from our trip into town so we didn't go for any local walks, but hopefully tomorrow the weather will cooperate as I want to go down to see the sheep down the road and take pics of the brand new baby sheep that we saw for the first time the other day.

I tried some tummy time with D earlier, on a blanket on the downstairs rug, and he was pretty into it at first, until he smacked his head on the ground-- and I got to see a demonstration of how baby synapses really do work a lot slower than adult ones. He picked up his head again right away, and seemed ok... and then you slowly saw it dawn on him that he had, in fact, hit his head, and that it probably hurt, and he went from being still happy to pouting to very much upset, and I hate to say it but it was absolutely adorable. I had to stifle a laugh as I picked him up to soothe him. At the time I thought, "I'll have to blog about this later!" and now I'm realizing this may be one of those stories that's appreciated most by fellow parents.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your parenting stories! They are great to help me get ready for what is to come for us. :)

    It was nice to see you at Starbucks - hope to see you this Thursday too!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...