Friday, April 25, 2008

Vesicoureteral Reflux

Betcha can't say that one 3 times fast, eh?

For the past 3 weeks I have abstained from looking up this ominous term on google. It is what the nephrologist (?) will be testing D for in another few weeks. Since he already proved himself to be one of the elite 1% of boys who gets a urinary tract infection before puberty, we will soon see if he also qualifies for the 30-40% of that 1% whose infection stemmed from VUR. This morning I succumbed, and I googled.

Luckily, it doesn't really sound that bad. If he does have VUR, they don't think it's very severe (assumed from the ultrasound they did in the hospital), and most kids tend to outgrow the reflux as they get older. However it looks like we'd have to keep giving him antibiotics to keep him UTI-free, which would be really annoying (esp as he's started figuring out how to spit the stuff out) and keep checking him until it does go away.

I also suspect that we might be dealing with a bit of acid reflux, as in the past week or 2 he's been spitting up a lot more (and even more often, I'll hear hat sounds like him spitting up into his mouth and then swallowing it back down... ew). But it doesn't seem to be bothering him, I guess, so other than arming myself with burp rags I won't worry about it much for now (and will ask the pediatrician about it at his 3month check-up).

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:34 PM

    when I was little I would get yeast infections and UTI's ALL THE TIME. I turned out just fine and never heard of vesicoureteral reflux... thank goodness... because that sounds so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter was just diagnosed with this today. Hope your child dodges the bullet!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...