Saturday, June 14, 2008

Bathtime Improvements

I think I discovered a new, simpler way to bathe D today.

It all started this morning. He was sitting in his bumbo chair, quite happily. Then he started fussing. And when I picked him up I realized he had a poop explosion. It was... impressive. Especially once I started getting him cleaned up and saw that there was hardly any poop IN his diaper. Nice.

So I got him changed and cleaned off with relative ease, but I still wanted to give his a rinse-off just for good measure. Not wanting to wait till the bathtub filled with water (which can take forever, and I have yet to figure out how to make the temperature quite right-- always seems either too hot or too cold, and yes I even have a kiddies water temp thermometer), I set him in his little bath chair naked and grabbed the detachable shower head that's on our bathtub and sprayed him down with it. He seems to enjoy the shower head, or at least that's what I read his bewildered expression to mean. Anyway, so I hosed him down, then soaped him up, and then rinsed him off, and lo and behold we were done in, like, 5 minutes. He even was happy for a few glorious extra seconds once I got him out and was toweling him off before beginning his customary post-bath scream-fest.

So I think that's what I'll be doing now for his bath. Faster, less prep-time, much more eco-friendly (considering how much less water is used). Yay.

In other news, someone has apparently decided to go on a napping strike. Other than one single "normal" nap yesterday and today, he has napped either on us or in the stroller, and for maybe 20 mins at a time. Boo.

2 comments:

  1. We are having the same nap strike! I wonder if its the dreaded 4 month wakeful period, but I certainly hope not!

    Glad D likes his 'new' bath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baths are over-rated. Ryan used to get one every few days when she was an infant, more to wash off her bottom than to clean the rest of her. After all she didn't really get dirty. Those incredible exploding diapers always resulted in a hose-down. So much easier to stick a baby butt under a faucet than go through a box of wipes.

    Now that she's active and dirty all the time, showers are nightly events. She doesn't have a bathtub so it's showers for her all the time and she loves it. I have to chase her out or she'll stay in there playing for an hour - and I don't have to worry about her drowning in a half-inch of water, though slipping and bonking her head is a real possibility.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...