Monday, September 28, 2009

International Babywearing Week

day9
It appears today is the last day of International Babywearing Week.  We don't use our slings as much anymore these days (though my hugamonkey sling has come in quite handy for carrying D while de/boarding during air travel), but I think it's probably fair to say that neither D nor I might've survived past his first few months without them.  My favorite was my New Native Inc pouch sling (which has since disappeared, sadly...).  There were so, so many times when D would get so grouchy and upset, and I'd slip him into the sling and walk/bounce around a bit and he'd fall right asleep.  We also went out on walks around the village and into town in the sling, when I didn't feel like dealing with a stroller.  Zach preferred the Rocking Baby Pouch (in the pic above) since it fit his body better and was expandable, and later as D got heavier and two-shoulder support a bit more critical, moved up to our hand-me-down Snugli carrier (below).  D loved being carried forward-facing in it.

.
Most of my slings are now on loan to a friend with a newborn, who seems to also be getting a good bit of use out of them.  I know they're not for everyone, but I found my slings to be such a blessing as a way to hold and snuggle with D without tiring my arms out as much-- or just being able to get other things done while still holding him.  I look forward to using them again whenever we have our next baby-- if nothing else I know they'll be a handy asset for holding a new baby while chasing after their older brother...  ; )

2 comments:

  1. I loved wearing Finn, from the moby to the bjorn, and even now with the ergo. I don't think I could have done as much without them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:05 PM

    Nicholas loved his baby wraps. I credit them as the reason he cried for approximately 10-15 minutes PER DAY. Total crying time, no joke. He went into the wrap pretty much as soon as we got up every morning and mostly stayed there until bedtime for his first 3 months. I used the wrap exclusively until he was 6 months old and got too heavy to carry around all the time. He now does not like them, but they are prepped and ready for Baby 2.

    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...