Thursday, July 02, 2009

Mini-Getaway

Mom and Philip took a trip to the city to see Jenny's work place and go out to a (very well -deserved) dinner date out. They left around 1pm, and Donovan actually cried when they left. He cried big crocodile tears, as much if not more than what he usually cries when I leave the house. I am choosing to be happy about this and taking it as a sign of how much he's bonding with his grandparents, rather than letting me ego get bruised.

Little D seems to be fighting some sort of bug lately. Nothing big, he's just seemed ever so slightly unwell. A touch of a runny nose, and his eyes look pretty tired. We spent the afternoon playing, interspersed with lots and lots of snuggling. I imagine that's partially from not feeling 100%, and trying to make up for not seeing me as much as usual this past week.

Zach and I have a hotel booked in San Francisco for tomorrow night. We'll all drive up tomorrow morning and hang out with Jenny, maybe take D to the aquarium (he'd LOVE it, I bet), then Mom and Philip will come back with D and Zach and I will get a night away, just the 2 of us. I'm sure we'll miss him, but I'm also beyond excited about it. I've never been the type of mom who feels guilty leaving her kid with (able and loving) babysitters or who needs to call obsessively to check up on the baby. I don't know what that says about me as a mother, but I am very much looking forward to a couple days of hanging out sans-kiddo, without having to worry about snacks and naps and keeping him entertained, and being able to sleep in in the morning, etc. Besides, judging from how much he's been loving his time with his Grandma Laurie and Papaw, he might hardly even miss us. ; )

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you guys get time alone... I'm sure you will still think about him lots as he is your life... Enjoy SF and don't get too chilly from the fog.. if you get it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do not feel guilty. You're leaving the boy with his grandparents -- this is the woman who raised four kids, one of them being you. This is why you're not worried.

    Enjoy the night out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...