Thursday, March 28, 2013

farewell, my beloved

Untitled

Last week I packed this baby up and shipped it to a friend, and I just feel like I need to stop for a minute and pay homage to my beloved "nifty fifty" (bear with me as I get all sentimental and sappy over a hunk of glass and plastic). This is the lens I learned on, the one that took almost every picture of D as a baby and young toddler. It allowed me to discover my love of prime lenses and shooting "wide open." This lens lived on my camera for the first 2-3 years that I owned it. It is a fantastic lens, especially considering the price. Unfortunately, since then it has been replaced by my 35mm lens (wider focal length = much easier to capture both kiddoes in the frame) and so it has spent the past couple years sitting in my camera bag, hardly used. I resisted selling it for a while, mainly for sentimental reasons (I also have a sigma 50mm macro lens, so I even have another lens in the same focal length), but then the right situation came up and I figured it was time to pass it on so it can go to a good home and hopefully get some use again, rather than just gather dust with me. So goodbye, sweet little lens. You've done me good.

5 comments:

  1. Do you have an 85mm lens? I love my 35 mm but it doesn't auto focus with my body which is a pain. I guess i need a new body but a new lens would be cheaper :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't... The main reason why I stopped using my 50mm was that with two kids, and with the more "photojournalistic" style I've been trying to go for (incorporating more background), I found the 50mm focal length to be too narrow and constricting. So I don't foresee wanting to get the 85mm anytime soon, as it would be even tighter (though I've heard it is AMAZING for taking portraits).

      No autofocus is a pain. =/ Is your gear Nikon?

      Delete
    2. I have the Nikon D5000, but I think I need a more recent body for it to autofocus. It does suck!

      Delete
  2. Hmm...debate debate over what my next lens will be. On one hand, I love my 50/1.4 that I have, and would really like an 85 OR a 35 but for different reasons, obviously. Then again, zooms are always fun and good for following the moving target kidlet from a distance, which means a higher likelihood of getting a naturalistic shot of my camera-shy kid. Decisions, decisions.

    That said, my next major purchase will be my delayed birthday present from Jason - a bounce flash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried/thought about renting lenses? I've used BorrowLenses.com several times, and there are probably shops in Austin that rent out lenses, too. That way you can play with them and see how you like specific lenses to help you decide what to go with next.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...