Sunday, June 30, 2013

Weekend at the Cape

One thing I'm learning about this MBA world is that these guys work hard and all, and boy do they get well rewarded for it. Zach's first week at his internship was a training week, with a couple days in the SF office and then all the summer interns from the various offices across the country met up in Cape Cod for the last few days of the week, and the option to stay through the weekend. Yes, that would be Cape Cod in Massachusetts, conveniently located a 4(ish)hr drive from here. Thanks to my in-laws watching the kids, I was able to drive down last Friday morning and meet up with Zach for the weekend, a last little get-away before really starting our summer apart. Basically, we got to have a swanky kid-free vacation weekend together and we didn't even have to pay for it. I know, you totally hate me now, and I so don't blame you for it.

I got to meet some of the other summer interns at his office, we spent time hanging out on the beach, slept in late, and just really enjoyed having each other all to ourselves without kids or school or anything else demanding our attention. It was really, really damn nice, especially with how little we saw each other much of the school year.

Obligatory sand-drawing-and-feet beach photo. (Aside- one goal for this weekend is to work on those awful tan lines on my feet) 
Obligatory beachy sand-drawing-and-feet photo.
So this is where I'll be spending my weekend.... 
These two pics are of the same spot on the same beach, one at low tide the other at close to high tide. I couldn't believe the difference. Also, when I walked onto the beach friday afternoon the first thought I had was what a great kid-friendly beach it was, bc the water was so shallow for so long (no big waves or nasty undertow that threatens to drag you out to sea and kill you?! Amazing!). The second thought was how it reminded me of Texas beaches. just without the tar or seaweeds everywhere or big trucks driving along the sand...
Whoa. The tide is up and pretty much ate the beach (the sandy part was like 20x longer yesterday, during low tide) Pretty moon 
Goodnight, moon.
At Boston airport a couple hours ago, had to say goodbye to this guy for 10 weeks. ;( #mbalife
About to say good-bye at the Boston airport on Sunday afternoon. Really, we should've been pouting.

And now we're at the end of Week Two, and so far so good. I'm noticing a bit more of a reaction on the kids' part to all the change and Zach's absence, certainly in Quinn who's been on a much shorter fuse the past week and seems to be needing more comfort than normal (totally expected).  The time difference and Zach's schedule makes it a bit of a challenge to find times for him and the boys to talk, but we've been using FaceTime most mornings and that's been working well enough. The solo parenting aspect hasn't been all that bad, honestly (especially with all the support I've had from friends and my in-laws), but I definitely feel his absence.  But all in all, it's going pretty ok. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...