And I'm getting really friggin tired of it.
I took him to the pediatrician last week to get it checked out. She didn't think it's a yeast rash, just skin that's really irritated and started breaking down. I cannot tell you how much money I've spent in the past weeks buying all sorts of different diaper creams, hoping something would make a difference. Unfortunately, at least some of them seemed to actually make things worse, if anything...
I'm at a loss. It seems the harder I try to make this thing go away, the more persistent it gets. I'm feeling helpless, discouraged, and very, very frustrated. If anyone has advice on what to try that I haven't done yet, I would LOVE to hear it. Here's what we're doing now:
- Changing diapers often (using 7th Generation disposables right now, am considering going back to the gDiapers + flushable inserts since they're a bit more breathable)
- Using water and washcloths/cotton rounds instead of store-bought wipes (if anyone has tips on a good system for doing this, please share them)
- At each change, I'll turn him onto his tummy and let his bottom air out for as long as he'll let me (usually just a few minutes before he gets upset). A few times I've managed to let his bottom air out while he naps on me (with the aid/protection of a few towels), can then get a good 30mins-1hr of naked-butt time.
- Slather on THICK layer of cream (alternating among Aquaphor, Burt's Bees, Desitin, Triple Paste, A&D. I have a tube of Boudreaux's Butt Paste but hesitate to use it as when I did try it I think it made things worse rather than better). Also, today I'm starting to put some 1% hydrocortisone cream on a few times a day.
- Give a bath every 1-2 days, sometimes adding baking soda to the water (heard that's soothing to sore bottoms?).
A friend on Facebook asked if the rash might be related to a food insensitivity, so now I'm starting to look into that possibility, too (which really depresses me, I had hoped to avoid food issues with Quinn... but, worth looking into).
So, yeah. Advice? Please? Because this sucks and I honestly don't know what else to do.