Thursday, April 01, 2010

A Week in the Life

I don't even remember how (oh that's right, I read about it in Real Simple) I stumbled upon this blog post yesterday, but I did.  It's from the Ali Edwards blog, which I've heard of before but never gotten around to reading much of. It appears she is very well known among scrapbooking circles.  She has an annual project called A Week in the Life, where you document all the little details of your daily life, using pictures and words, for a whole week. The idea is then you put them all in a scrapbook, and have a keepsake of a snapshot of time in your life.

I knew the project, as I remember a friend of mine doing this very project a year or two ago.  I instantly loved it, but at the time D was still a baby and I couldn't imagine having any chance of pulling something like that off.

And then I was reminded of this little project yesterday, and I thought, "Huh."  Our lives are about to undergo some potentially really huge changes-- depending on how Zach's job search goes, we may find ourselves moving away from California, or at least away from the Bay Area.  We're contemplating expanding our family.  Zach and I are both about to turn 30.  So, doesn't it make sense to try to capture this moment in time, as it is now?

(I also like the added challenge of taking my camera everywhere we go for a week, and taking pictures of the things we do... something I still shy away from too often)

Yes, I blog.  This blog has served as a great archive of everything we've done and gone through in the past... 5 years?  But as I thumbed through some of my old scrapbooks last night, the ones I started in high school and kept up for years but haven't touched in a good two years, I realized that while I love the life archive my blog gives us, it's still not quite the same as a book you can hold in your hands and look through while sitting on the couch.  And I don't write about the little mundane details of our days-- our current favorite dishes or snacks to eat, the toys D's playing with, not-even-thought-of rituals to our day.  And I think it would be really cool to have a series of these week-long snapshots of our lives, to compare and look back on over the years.

So I think I'll give it a try.  However, considering I haven't touched my scrapbooking materials since before D was born, I think in order to make this a more realistic project I'll make a photo book out of the results instead.  That seems less effort-intensive at the moment. (I do hope one day I can make more time for scrapbooking... I miss making things out of pretty paper and pictures, and hand-writing my captions)

Anyone else wanna give it a go?  ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...