Wednesday, August 02, 2023

First Chemo Infusion


The past week has been kind of a lot. After getting the port placed on tuesday, I also had an MRI and heart ultrasound on Wednesday (as a precaution to monitor my heart bc of one of the chemo drugs I'm taking), and then as Zach and I were walking out of the MRI we spotted a covid clinic and decided to get me a booster before starting chemo. So then between being sore from the port, and tired from the covid booster, I was pretty useless for the next few days... Then got a bit of a second wind over the weekend and Monday, before having my first chemo infusion yesterday (Tuesday).

The infusion went smoothly enough, my nurse was nice. I was given something to prevent nausea, which made me pretty sleepy, but then I think the first drug on the infusion gave me restless leg which made it hard to sleep. But that eased up over the next few hours. I was there for about 6 hours in total before being released and able to come home. I felt pretty ok after, other than tired...I went to bed around 9pm.

It's kinda of an odd feeling today, waiting around to see what side effects I'll have and when they'll show up. I'm sleepy and have a bit of heartburn, but nothing too uncomfortable. I've been catching up on some shows. My mom ended up flying out here Monday and will stay for a week, it's nice having her company and also knowing she can take care of cooking, etc, so I can just rest.

A couple medical updates: I got the results of my genetic testing today, which was negative for almost everything (I'm apparently a carrier for one gene that can be associated with colon cancer but it's recessive so shouldn't affect anything). So that's a relief. However my oncologist did find a small possibly-suspicious spot on my left side in the MRI (the known tumor is on the right) so I'll get that checked out next week. I did get some very sweet gifts from friends last week, which really warmed my heart. It helps a lot to feel so loved and cared for by so many people as I face this big, scary thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...