Thursday, November 03, 2011

goodbye, golden curls...

My sweet boy got his first MAJOR haircut today.  He's had trims before, but this was a massive style change, one he's been asking for for weeks now.  I'm having a hard time adjusting, to be honest.  All day long, every time I looked at him I felt shock all over again.

See these sweet curls? The California-boy waves?  The just-plain-awesome shaggy 'do?  

GONE!


And he suddenly aged, like, 5 years in the process.

He is of course still adorable and quite handsome.  He loves it, is so happy with short.  It's another sign of me losing my influence on him as his mother-- up to recently he's been fine just going along with my hairstyle suggestions, but now he wants it short like one of the older boys in his class.  This is not in itself a sad or bad thing-- I love watching him grow into his own person with his own opinions and desires, likes and dislikes, and I will support his wants and independence every way I can.

But I still miss his long hair.

(I'm sure in a few days/weeks/months I'll get used to the short hair, and it will seem just as intrinsically "Donovan" as the longer hair has been for me.... It's just been a shock to the emotional system for this mama!)

2 comments:

  1. He's a handsome boy regardless of his hair! I'd totally miss those waves too. I'm gonna have a hard time if Kiarda wants to cut her hair one of these days... *sigh*

    So cliche, but...they grow up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww - he looks precious, either way!!! My son's curls were SOOOO long this summer, then right before school we trimmed them. Sigh. They're starting to grow back & my heart sings. But I know when he starts pushing them out of his eyes all the time, we have to cave to the scissors again.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...