Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Babywearing Collection: Update

A few months ago I wrote about my babywearing collection, aka the many contraptions that made it possible for me to survive the first several months of Q's babyhood.  Well, soon after that I bought two more carriers: a Sakura Bloom Hana ring sling and a Boba soft-structured carrier.

As it turns out, these two are my hands-down favorite carriers now. ; )

I bought the Sakura Bloom sling specifically for a friend's wedding.  I wanted a more elegant way to wear Q, and so justified the splurge.  As expected, the sling is gorgeous, and the fabric is really amazing.  I love the linen, it's really comfortable and easy to adjust, while still having enough "grip" to feel really secure on.  It took me a while to really get the hang of ring slings, but they are now my first recommendation for any new mom as I feel they're one of the most versatile baby carriers-- easy on/off, small and compact for storage, and can easily accomodate newborns up to toddlers.  I switch back and forth between my SB sling and my BabyEtte superwide sling for running errands with Q (going to the post office, school drop-off/pick-up for D, or just a way to hold Q on our way to and from the car).
Quinn asleep in the sling during a friend's party.
Waiting to board a flight this past summer.
I did use my SB sling at that wedding, and wore Q in it for a good hour or two... and then he just got too heavy to keep using it.  So that's when I switched to my back-up, the Boba.  The Boba has almost the same shape as the more popular Ergo, but with a few small differences (the waist strap is slightly different, and the body of the Boba is an inch or 2 taller).  I worried that I wouldn't like the straps as much bc they don't cross in the back. As it turns out, once you have everything adjusted right it's actually really comfortable.  The Boba quickly became my go-to carrier, even being preferred over my beloved mei tai.
Now that Q's 22lbs front carries are getting tougher (or maybe I need to re-adjust something again?) but I can still wear him on my back for long periods of time.  I've even worn D (33lbs) in the Boba a few times when necessary and it's been surprisingly comfortable.
Walking back to the car. @Boba #bobafamily #happybwing
Walking back to the car from a beach in Tahoe.  I think he liked getting a ride like his brother. ; )
Zach also uses the Boba often, usually when he's having trouble getting Quinn to fall asleep so he'll put him on his back.  I don't care what anyone says, dads "wearing" babies are awesome. =P

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put your sweet red-headed nephew into the Boba when I cook/go for walks now that Criss has one! It's my favorite carrier because I feel like it is the easiest to put on by myself :P. Wearing him (starting at 6.5 weeks!!!) definitely had a learning curve to it, but I am glad I didn't give up immediately and got the hang of it :) it has definitely come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had known about the benefits and convenience of babywearing when Kiarda was a newborn and young infant. I too have an arsenal of different carriers that I have acquired since she was about four months old.

    My two go-tos have been the Scootababy (for quick errands, as you use the ring sling) and my Beco Butterfly II. The Beco is now most definitely my main carrier, and Kiarda loves it even though she screams bloody murder when I'm getting her put in it.

    Front carries now are difficult for long stretches, but still doable. I do have to adjust the straps a bit for front vs. back carry. I can wear her on my back all day long, if she's in the mood for it!

    Jason also wears her and really enjoys doing so. :) Babywearing men are da bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know with my Ergo that front carrying isn't particularly recommended after 22lbs - they recommend back carries as of that point. Maybe your Boba is the same way?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...